- Main Course
- Sweet Treats
- Culinary Tips
yields approx 25 vadis.
- 1 cup gram flour (besan),
- 2 tsp all purpose flour,
- 1 cup buttermilk (made from sour curd/yogurt),
- 1 1/2 cups water,
- 1 tsp turmeric powder,
- 1 tsp chili powder,
- 1/8 tsp asafoetida,
- salt to taste,
- grated fresh coconut,
- lots of chopped coriander/cilantro,
- 3 tbsp oil,
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida,
- 4 tsp mustard seeds,
- Combine besan, all purpose flour, turmeric powder, chili powder, asafoetida and salt. Gradually add buttermilk alternately mixing with a wire whisk or a spoon to avoid lump formation. Add water and mix well. Sieve the batter to remove lumps.
- Grind or finely chop chilies and combine with coconut and coriander.
- Be ready with flat plates/tray or lay out a plastic wrap on the countertop. This will be used later as a surface for spreading the cooked batter.
- Pour the batter in a non-stick saucepan and keep stirring over low heat.
- In about 10 minutes the batter starts to thicken. Cover at this stage for 2 minutes keeping the heat low.
- Remove the lid and stir batter with a spatula, again cover for 3-4 minutes. As the batter becomes thicker and falls like a thick ribbon if lifted by the spatula, quickly turn the heat off to avoid overcooking.
- With the help of the spatula, spread the hot batter evenly over the ungreased plates/tray or the plastic wraps. If using plates, use both the sides for spreading. Let the batter cool.
- Make a standard tempering using the ingredients mentioned above. Spread some tempering all over the batter.
- Cut the batter into 1 1/2 inch wide and 6 inch long strips.
- Sprinkle coconut, coriander and chili mixture all over the top. Press lightly with the back of a spoon.
- Lift one end of each strip gently and start rolling it all the way upto the other end.
- Sprinkle more coriander and coconut; top with more tempering.
- Serve immediately.
Tips and Variations:
1) Make sure to cook the batter to right consistency so that it does not result into broken vadis.
2) Avoid overstuffing the vadis with coconut and coriander mixture.