- Sweet Treats
- Culinary Tips
Vangyache Kaap (Fried Eggplant Slices)
serves approx. 3-4
- 1 big eggplant,
- 1 cup gram flour,
- 1/2 cup rice flour,
- turmeric powder,
- chili powder, (as per the taste)
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida,
- 2 tsp each coriander and cumin powder
- salt to taste
- 2 tsp chili powder,
- salt to taste,
- oil for shallow frying.
- Wash the eggplant. Cut lengthwise into 1/4 inch slices. Rinse and rub some salt to both sides of each slice.
- Combine gram flour, rice flour, coriander and cumin powder, turmeric powder, asafoetida, chili powder and salt. Do not add water.
- Heat a griddle (or skillet) over high heat first. Once heated, turn heat to medium. Pour 2 tbsp oil initially onto the heated griddle.
- Dredge each slice into the dry flour mixture so the flour mixture coats the slice completely. Likewise coat all the slices and arrange 2 to 4 slices onto the griddle. Avoid overcrowding the griddle.
- Turn the heat to medium-high. Once the bottom side is crisp and golden brown, turn over each slice. Pour more oil if required and fry the other side. Check doneness by slightly inserting the turner into the slice. Once done, transfer the slices onto a tissue paper to drain excess oil.
- Serve vangyache kaap with any meal as an accompaniment or just as an appetizer.
1) Substitute breadcrumbs or semolina for rice flour in the coating.