|Tomato saar: type 1|
4 medium sized ripe (red) tomatoes
2-3 garlic cloves,
1 small piece ginger,
3-4 green chilies (vary the amount as per the taste),
4-5 curry leaves,
chopped coriander leaves,
1 tsp cumin seeds,
1 tsp turmeric powder,
1/4 tsp asafoetida
salt to taste
2-3 tsp ghee
1 tsp sugar
1. Boil tomatoes till soft. (Microwave is useful for this)
2. Remove the shells and purée tomatoes in a grinder.
3. Add water to this purée as per the desired consistency. Also add salt and sugar and let it boil over medium heat.
4. Make a paste of green chilies, garlic and ginger.
5. Now, heat another small pan. Add 2-3 tsp ghee. When the ghee is heated, add cumin seeds, asafoetida, turmeric powder , curry leaves and chili-ginger-garlic paste. This is 'tempering' (also called phodni in Marathi) for the saar.
6. When tomato purée starts boiling, pour the hot tempering over it. Stir well and simmer for 5 minutes.
Garnish with lots of coriander leaves and serve hot with rice.
Tip: To thicken the saar, add 1 tsp rice flour or 1 tsp all purpose flour or 1 small grated boiled potato and again bring it to a boil.
alternative method for the tomato saar.