|Green bell peppers / capsicum curry (Simla mirchi / bhopli mirchi chi peeth perun bhaaji)|
4 medium sized green bell peppers / capsicums, (or take 2 bigger ones)
1/2 cup chick pea flour / gram flour (besan),
1/4 cup bhajani (optional),
2 tsp chili powder,
1 tsp turmeric powder,
sugar (optional) to taste,
1/2 tsp asafoetida,
2 tsp mustard seeds,
2 tbsp oil,
1. Rinse the peppers. Wipe dry them with a kitchen towel. Chop into 1/2 inch square pieces. In a bowl, combine gram flour, bhajani, chili powder, 1/2 tsp turmeric andsalt. Do not add water.
2. Heat oil in a wok. Add mustard seeds, asafoetida and the remaining turmeric powder.
3. Add peppers and fry till peppers are half tender.
4. Add gram flour and mix well until all the pieces are well coated with the flour. Fry for sometime over medium heat.
5. Keep tossing the bhaaji until crisp and golden. Do not add water at any stage since this is a dry bhaaji.
Garnish with cilantro/coriander leaves and serve hot with chapati.
Tip: You may dry roast the flour first until the raw smell goes away (approx 10 minutes).
1. Add 2 tsp peanut powder in the flour.
2. Add 1 tsp coriander powder and 1/2 tsp cumin powder in the flour.
3. Try the same recipe with cabbage or onions.
Copyright © 2000-2003 Mumbai-Masala.com, All rights reserved.