|Pithale : type 1|
1 cup gram flour,
3-4 green chilies,
2 teaspoon mustard seeds,
4 teaspoon oil
1. Mix together gram flour, salt and some water for desired consistency. Remove the lumps.
(There is an alternative method for this. First follow the step 2, and add water directly to it. When water starts boiling, add gram flour and stir. Watch out for lumps.)
2. In a deep pan, heat oil. Add mustard seeds, asafoetida and turmeric powder.
Add chopped onions. Give vertical slits to the chilies and add them.
3. When onion pieces become transperent, add the paste of gram flour. Now keep stirring to avoid lump formation.
4. Cover and turn the heat on medium.
5. Remove the lid and stir after 5 minutes. Pithale is ready to serve when the raw smell goes.
6. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with plain rice or bhakri.
1) Use 1 tsp cumin seeds instead of mustard seeds.
2) Add 2-3 mashed garlic cloves in the oil when mustard seeds splutter in the step 2.
3) Replace chilies with chili powder.
4) Add chopped tomato / chopped drumsticks in the step 2.
5) Add 1 kokum in the step 2.
Also check Zunka, Pithale-type 2 and Pithale-type 3