|Moong dal khichdi (Moogachya dalichi khichdi)|
(for approx. 4-5 people)
1 cup raw rice,
1/4 cup green gram, split (moong dal)
2 cups water,
any vegetables (peas, brinjals, potatoes, gherkins, onions and peanuts etc - optional).
2 teaspoon Maharashtrian black masala,
1 teaspoon coriander powder,
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon turmeric powder,
1/2 teaspoon red chili powder,
1/4 teaspoon asafoetida,
1 teaspoon sugar or jaggery,
chopped coriander leaves and,
fresh grated coconut for garnishing
1. Mix rice and split green gram, wash and drain. Keep aside for 15-20 minutes. Meanwhile heat a pan.
2. Add oil. When it is hot, add mustard seeds and let them pop. Add asafoetida and turmeric powder. Add the vegetables and fry until tender.
3. Add the rice and dal mixture and fry.
4. Bring water to a boil. Pour it over the rice and dal mixture and stir.
5. Allow to boil. Simmer and add black masala, coriander-cumin powder, salt, chili powder and sugar to it. Cover and cook till rice is tender.
7. Garnish with coconut and coriander leaves. Top with ghee and serve hot with pickle and tomato-onion salad or tomato saar.