- Sweet Treats
- Culinary Tips
Whole Red Lentils curry (Masoor Amati)
- Whole black lentil, 1/2 cup,
- 2 garlic cloves crushed ,
- 2 small onions,
- 1 small potato,
- coriander leaves/cilantro for garnishing,
- 2 tsp chili powder,
- 2 teaspoon mustard seeds,
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder,
- 1/2 teaspoon asafoetida,
- 1 tbsp fresh coconut,(optional)
- 2 tsp black Maharashtrian Masala (Goda Masala)
- 1/2 tsp sugar (if you like that sweet flavor in your dal),
- 2 tsp oil
- Soak dal overnight and next day drain all the water, wash and keep it covered in a warm place or tie it in a muslin cloth to let it sprout.
- Pressure cook the dal until just tender.
- Chop potatoes into small pieces. Chop onions.
- Heat oil in a saucepan or a copper bottom pan. Add mustard seeds. When they splutter, add asafoetida and turmeric powder. Add crushed garlic and black masala at this stage. Immediately add chopped onions and potatoes and saute for a minute.
- Cover till potatoes are done. Add the boiled dal and 2 cups water. Add salt, chili powder and boil for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and coconut. Serve with chapati or rice.
1) Adding black masala directly into the tempering enhances the flavor of any curry. But you may add it later when you add dal.
2) For quicker version, skip the soaking and sprouting process, just pressure cook the unsprouted masoor dal and use it directly for the recipe .
3) Add garam masala instead of black masala for change of taste.