- Sweet Treats
- Culinary Tips
(for Marathi version click here
Garam Masala - type 1
yields approx. 1/3 cup
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds,
- 2 tsp cumin seeds,
- 1 1/2 tsp black peppercorns,
- 3 tbsp fennel seeds, (saunf/badishep)
- about 20 cloves,
- 1 cinnamon stick 1 1/2 inch.
- Toast cloves, cinnamon, fennel and peppercorns together in a clean dry kadai/pan until aromatic. Remove from the heat.
- Then toast coriander seeds. When they just turn light red, add cumin and turn the heat off. Set aside to cool.
- Grind everything together into a very fine powder.
- Store in an airtight container for later use.
The fennel used in this masala gives nice fragrance to any curry such as vegetable kurma or eggplant curry.
Tips and Variations:
The proportion mentioned above yields aprox. 1/3 cup garam masala. However, if you are planning to make it in a larger quantity, avoid multiplying the amount of all the ingredients in the same proportion.
Some spices such as cloves have a very strong pungent flavor which might be overpowering if their amount is increased in the same ratio.