|Masala Rice (Masale Bhaat)|
(for approx. 6 people)
1 1/2 cup long grain raw rice,
3 cups water,
1/4 cup boiled peas,
1/4 cup gherkins chopped vertically,
1/4 cup brinjal pieces,
7-8 no. fried cashewnuts,
10 no. curry leaves,
2 teaspoon Maharashtrian goda masala or garam masala powder,
2 teaspoon turmeric powder,
1/2 teaspoon asafoetida,
sugar to taste,
2 teaspoon ghee,
chopped coriander leaves and,
fresh grated coconut for garnishing
Whole garam masala (can be skipped)
2 cinnamon sticks,
3-4 bay leaves,
For the masala:
1/4 cup dry shredded coconut,
4 red chilies,
2 teaspoon coriander seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds,
Lightly roast all the items and grind.
1. Wash rice and drain. Keep aside for 1/2 an hour.
2. Heat a thick bottommed pan. Heat 1/4 cup oil. Add the whole garam masala. When all the masala ingredients sizzle, add turmeric powder and asafoetida.
3. Add curry leaves, and chopped gherkins. Once soft, add peas and brinjal pieces and fry.
4. Next add the raw rice and keep stirring for some time on medium heat. Pour boiling water all over into the rice and vegetable mixture. Stir well.
5. Let the rice come to boil until it shows bubbles on top.
6. Now turn the heat to low and add the ground masala, goda masala or garam masala, ghee, salt and sugar. Cover and cook.
7. Rice is done when all the water evaporates. Garnish with cashewnuts, coconut and coriander leaves. Top with ghee. Serve hot.