- Sweet Treats
- Culinary Tips
Green Beans Bhaaji - South-Indian Style (Pharasabichi Bhaaji)
- 400 grams green beans,
- 1 tbsp split black gram (udid dal),
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida,
- 2 dried whole red chilies,
- 10 curry leaves,
- lots of fresh coconut and coriander to garnish,
- 2 tbsp oil.
- Wash and soak udid dal in water for 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile wash green beans, wipe dry. Snip the ends and chop them into fine pieces. Cut red chilies into two halves.
- Heat oil in a kadai or pan.
- Drain water from the dal and add dal to the heated oil. The dal starts to sizzle; sautè until golden.
- Add red chilies, asafoetida and curry leaves. Then add beans and mix thoroughly.
- Cover and let cook until beans turn tender. Remove the lid, add salt and now on a high heat, keep stirring until beans become nice and crisp.
- Sprinkle lots of chopped cilantro and fresh grated coconut on top. Serve with chapatis/rice.
Tips and Variations:
1) Add 1 finely chopped green pepper to the bhaaji.
2) Substitute green chilies for whole red chilies.