- Sweet Treats
- Culinary Tips
(for Marathi version click here
Garlic Chutney - type 1
yields approx 1/2 cup
- 1/4 cup dry shredded coconut,
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds,
- 1/4 cup garlic cloves,
- 1/4 cup onion chopped,
- 4 tsp or more chili powder,
- 1/2 tsp tamarind,
- 1 tablespoon dry roasted and shelled peanuts/peanut powder,
- salt to taste,
- 1 tsp oil.
- Start with toasting coconut in a kadai on medium heat until light brown. Remove.
- In the same kadai, toast sesame seeds. As they start to pop up or turn golden brown, remove.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in the kadai and add garlic cloves. Saute them until just golden and remove.
- Add chopped onions to the kadai and keep frying to let them brown.
- Now combine all the roasted ingredients, peanuts, tamarind, salt and chili powder. Using morter and pestle, pound everything into a coarse mixture.
- Alternatively, grind the mixture using a mini chopper or a blender.
- Garlic chutney adds a delicious twist to any meal - be it a simple meal like dal-rice and chapati/bhakri or even idlis/dosas.
Tips and Variations:
1) This is a very flavorful variation of garlic chutney. Since it has all the roasted ingredients, it tastes different from the standard garlic chutney.
2) This chutney tastes delicious in sandwiches.
2) Substitute lemon juice or raw mango powder for tamarind.
3) Toast 1 tsp cumin seeds and grind them along with the other ingredients.
4) This garlic chutney has a shelf life of 15 days.