|Okra Bhaaji (Bhendichi Bhaaji - Kaachrya)|
1/2 kg okra (Bhendi),
1 potato (optional),
3 green chilies or 1 tsp chili powder,
1 tsp turmeric powder,
1 teaspoon lemon juice or tamarind pulp,
salt to taste,
sugar,(optional) coriander leaves/cilantro.
1/2 tsp asafoetida,
2 tsp mustard seeds,
1 tbsp oil,
1. Wash okra. Wipe dry, remove stems and make thin round slices or chop them vertically. Do not rinse them in water again. Chop potato.
2. Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, asafoetida and turmeric powder. Add potatoes and fry. Add chopped okra and fry for sometime. Cook over low heat without keeping the lid. To keep the bhaaji from sticking to the bottom of pan, keep tossing it continuously. At this stage you may add 1 teaspoon lemon juice or tamarind to prevent the bhaaji from turning sticky.
5. Check if the okra pieces have turned soft. Add salt, chili powder and stir. Remove from the heat.
Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with chapati.
1. Use coriander and cumin powder.
2. Add finely chopped onions along with potatoes. Add peas.