- Sweet Treats
- Culinary Tips
Potato Bhaaji (Batatyachya Kachrya)
- 6 medium potatoes,
- 2 tsp chili powder or 3-4 green chilies ,
- 1 1/2 tsp turmeric powder,
- chopped cilantro/coriander leaves,
- 6-7 nos. curry leaves,(optional)
- 2 teaspoon mustard seeds,
- 1/2 teaspoon asafoetida,
- 2 tbsp oil
- Wash potatoes. Peel them (or you may leave the skins on to retain the fiber) and cut each into two halves. Cut each half into two-three wedges. Slice the wedges lengthwise into thin pieces.
- Chop chilies into fine pieces, crush curry leaves with hands.
- Heat oil in a kadai/wok on medium flame. Add mustard seeds; let them sizzle. Now add asafoetida and turmeric powder. At this point, add curry leaves, chilies and some of the cilantro leaves. Add chopped potatoes and toss gently to coat all the potatoes with oil. Do not add water in this recipe.
- Cover for 10 minutes or until the potato pieces are just tender. Remove the lid and add salt, chili powder (if using).
- Turn the heat to high and keep stirring the bhaaji until crisp.
- Garnish with remaining cilantro and serve with chapati/phulka or just dal-rice.
Tips and Variations:
1) Add 2 small onions with the potatoes to make kaanda-batata bhaaji.
2) The recipe mentioned above is a basic one; add 1 tsp of garam masala/pav bhaji masala/kitchen king masala to the bhaaji to make it more interesting in flavor.
2) Add 1/2 tsp dried mango powder (amchur powder) in the recipe.