- Main Course
- Sweet Treats
- Culinary Tips
Chivda (with roasted pohe - 'bhajakya pohyacha')
Approx 1.5 kg
- 1 kg thin pohe (flaked beaten rice, thin),
- 150 gms puffed rice(optional),
- 1/2 cup peanuts,
- 1/2 cup chana dalia,
- 1/4 cup cashewnuts,
- 1/4 cup pieces of dry coconut (make thin vertical pieces of 1 cm length),
- 3 teaspoon ajwain,
- 1 tbsp white sesame seeds,
- 20 green chilies (vary the amount as per your liking),
- 4 bunches of curry leaves,
- 3 tsp coriander powder,
- 3 tsp cumin powder,
- 1/2 cup oil,
- 4 tsp turmeric powder,
- 1 tsp asafoetida,
- salt to taste,
- ground sugar
- Roast pohe and puffed rice (each item separately) on medium heat until crisp. Use 1 tsp oil for better roasting.
Alternatively, preheat oven to 400 deg F (200 deg c) and roast pohe in oven for 10-15 minutes or until crisp. Keep watch and gently mix them a couple of times to keep from burning.
- Also roast sesame seeds until golden in color.
- Now add 1 tbsp oil in the same pan and fry peanuts until brown (or You may roast peanuts in preheated oven instead of frying). Remove them and fry coconut pieces until golden brown. Also fry cashewnuts.
- Chop green chilies into small pieces. Set aside all the fried items. Discard the used oil and heat remaining 1/2 cup oil.
- When oil is heated, add mustard seeds, turmeric powder, asafoetida. Then add curry leaves.
- Now add chana dalia and fry till they turn light red. Add chilies and fry again for some time. Later add sesame seeds and ajwain.
- Finally add pohe, puffed rice and all the fried ingredients together (peanuts, cashewnuts, coconut pieces) and mix. Add salt, coriander-cumin powder, sugar and toss gently just to coat pohe with all the spices. Remove and let cool before storing into an airtight container.
Variation: Add Coriander seeds, grated ginger, crushed garlic in the tempering for variation.